The Fábrica San José was built by the Martinez Manescau brothers and Gabriel Rodriguez Navas back in 1870.
Three years later, the property was taken over by the Larios family and they proceeded to turn the building into one of the most important sugar factories in Nerja. The factory continued to be fully operational until 1968.
In 1985 the building was renovated and converted into the IES (Instituto de Educación Secundaria) ‘El Chaparil’ school. There cannot be many schools boasting a huge chimney as part of their complex.